The recent stories affecting the West Midlands:
- Labour hoping to take control of Birmingham City Council after 8 years- Birmingham Post- A gain of only 4 seats will see Labour take control of the BCC leaving mayoral hopeful Mike Whitby with questions to answer about his record.
- Anyone in Coventry fancy West Midlands police commissioner job?- Coventry Telegraph- With only one declared candidate for new police commissioner’s job, fears spread over possible victory for an extremist candidate inCoventry.
- Sion Simon: Labour should allow MPs to stand for Mayor- Birmingham Post- Mayoral hopeful Sion Simon hints at his forward thinking by removing himself as MP in 2010 and states ‘bring it on’ to fellow mayoral hopefuls.
- London and the West Midlands driving UK economic growth in 2012- International Business Times- West Midlands business activity at highest level since 2007 could attract more investment and increase of employment for the region.
- Labour ‘running scared’ of by-election in Birmingham, claims Respect- Birmingham Post- Respect puts Labour on the back foot with call that they are not able or willing to contest bye-elections due to fears they will lose.