A round of the recent stories affecting the West Midlands
- Birmingham could be Britain’s digital capital- Birmingham Post- Cabinet Office minister Francis Maude says Birmingham can be ‘Britain’s digital capital’. He believes it could have the same impact as the Industrial Revolution.
- Long-time councillor becomes Lord Mayor- Birmingham Mail- John Lines will become Birmingham’s new Lord Mayor in May after spending 30 years as a councillor.
- Cuts lead to drastic measures for West Midlands Police- Daily Mail- The WMP is looking to save £50000 a year by removing 122 ovens in West Midlands police stations. The decision has angered many of the rank and file officers
- Recent job figures see West Midlands unemployment fall – Birmingham Post- The number of people without jobs in the region has fallen by 1,000 while employment rises by 9000.
- West Midlands police court controversy with privatisation of police- Guardian- The West Midlands is one of the Britain’s police regions to open itself up for private security firms to bid for services that can be “be legally delegated to the private sector”.